Download the full special report PDF here.
AI-empowered Enlightenment for Global Governance of AI
Special Report on AI Global Governance of the Boston Global Forum and the Global Alliance for Digital Governance and the Global Internet Governance, Digital Empowerment, and Security Alliance (GLIDES)
to C20 – G20 Summit India 2023
Boston, MA – Jaipur, India July 28, 2023
Contributors: Dr. Krishnashree Achuthan, Vint Cerf, Nazli Choucri, John Clippinger, Michael Dukakis, Thomas Kehler, Zlatko Lagumdzija, Enrico Letta, Dr. Prashant R. Nair, Yasuhide Nakayama, Tuan Anh Nguyen, Thomas Patterson, Alex Pentland, Alison Richards, David Silbersweig.
In recent times, the governance of AI has gained immense attention globally. Leading the charge in this domain is the Boston Global Forum (BGF), which established the AI World Society (AIWS) Initiative in 2017 for global governance of AI and Digital. Notable milestones include the AIWS-G7 Summit 2019 Initiative and the launch of the Social Contract for the AI Age and AIWS City, in collaboration with the World Leadership Alliance-Club de Madrid in September 2020. Notably, in September 2021, the AI International Accord and Global Alliance for Digital Governance (GADG) were introduced by BGF and World Leadership Alliance – Club de Madrid.
BGF Chairman Governor Michael Dukakis and BGF CEO Nguyen Anh Tuan: “The best way to solve challenges, threats, and perils from AI and Digital Transformation is to shape a new society with our innovative, pioneering ideas and concepts.”
From February to April 2023, the Boston Global Forum organized a series of BGF High-level Conferences to develop a Framework for Global Governance of AI. On April 30, 2023, BGF announced the Framework for Global Alliance of AI.
Collaborating with the Global Internet Governance, Digital Empowerment, and Security Alliance (GLIDES) of Civil20 (C20) official engagement group of India’s G20 presidency from May 12, 2023, BGF has taken further actions, encouraging civic society organizations and citizens to contribute to action plans for Global Governance of AI.
BGF and GLIDES are committed to contributing to the C20 – G20 Summit India 2023, with a focus on the following plans:
- AI-Powered Enlightenment Alliance (AIEA) for Oversight of AI Systems: Major technology companies, including Amazon, Google, Meta, Microsoft, and others, have made significant commitments to AI safeguards brokered by President Joe Biden’s White House. To ensure oversight and responsible development of the next generation of AI systems, BGF, Shinzo Abe Initiative for Peace and Security, GADG, and GLIDES have come together to form the AI-Powered Enlightenment Alliance (AIEA) and will volunteer as third-party oversight.
- Empowering Citizens and CSOs for global governance of AI, Internet and development of data economy:
MIT professor Alex Pentland: “Data is a new primary means of production, along with capital, labor, and land. If we establish equitable data rights, and enable easy audit of data use, we can control AI and bend the digital economy to better serve society.”
BGF CEO Nguyen Anh Tuan: ”Citizens are empowered through the AIWS model, data economy and global enlightenment education, uniting their voices as power of users, market forces, and innovators.”
AIEA actively promotes collaboration with citizens and civic society organizations, while also establishing the Tech Enlightenment Economy Alliance to support global governance of AI, Internet and create opportunities in AI and data economy, enabling every citizen to become an innovator. It emphasizes the practical application of AIWS concepts to foster peace, security, and the greater good in the realms of AI, world-wide web and digital technology. During the initial phase, AIEA focuses on partnering with 10 countries, namely the US, EU-UK, Japan, India, Brazil, Nigeria, Mexico, Indonesia, Vietnam, and the Philippines. Together, they strive to shape a future where the potential of AI is harnessed for the benefit of all and to promote a thriving digital ecosystem that empowers individuals and societies alike.
- AI-Powered Enlightenment Framework: AI pioneers and scholars like MIT professor Alex Pentland, AI pioneer Thomas Kehler, and Harvard professor David Silbersweig emphasize the importance of equitable data rights, transparency, and a new AI framework that integrates with human collective intelligence. AIEA supports to build AI-powered Enlightenment Framework as a new AI framework that integrates with and engages human collective intelligence. The AI-powered Enlightenment Framework is grounded in neuroscience and is based on the laws of living physics.
AI pioneer Thomas Kehler: “The tremendous power of generative AI is currently is dangerous because of a lack of data provenance and transparency. We must swiftly move forward to adopting a new AI framework that integrates with and engages humancollective intelligence. The new framework is grounded in neuroscience and is based on the laws of living physics. While not on the public radar, such technology is available and will build a safe framework for future development.”
Harvard professor David Silbersweig: “Like other transformative technologies, AI can be used for good or ill. The human brain mind and society have pro-social and anti-social elements. Given the powerful ability of AI to accelerate and scale human intentions and to potentially adopt goals of its own, it is imperative that we shape the development and deployment of AI, informed by ethical and the latest integrated understanding of the brain-mind and complex systems.”
Thomas Kehler’s figure
- Addressing Misinformation and Disinformation and Cybercrime: Misinformation and disinformation remain significant concerns in the digital age. Tackling these complex issues requires the united efforts of various social forces and governments. AIEA takes a proactive approach by organizing dialogues with religious leaders from Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Judaism. Additionally, it seeks cooperation with governments from the US, EU-UK, Japan, India, Brazil, Nigeria, Mexico, Indonesia, Vietnam, and the Philippines to effectively combat these challenges. BGF and Amrita University will collaborate as residents of this event, providing valuable insights and expertise.
The AI-Powered Enlightenment Framework assumes a crucial role in devising technical solutions to address misinformation, disinformation, and cybercrime effectively. This framework aims to curtail the spread of false information and protect individuals and societies from harmful online activities. Through international collaboration and collective action, the AI-Powered Enlightenment Framework strives to create a safer and more reliable digital space for all.
- Resources: The Global Enlightenment Community, comprising distinguished scholars from prestigious universities such as Harvard, MIT, Stanford, and more, along with contributions from former presidents and prime ministers, play a vital role in supporting these action programs. The Global Enlightenment Mountain (GEM) connects research centers and labs of universities and companies to provide technological support for oversight and the AI-Powered Enlightenment Framework.
Through the collaborative efforts of the AI-Powered Enlightenment Alliance, BGF, GLIDES, and various global partners, the vision for an AI-powered enlightened society – AIWS – an Age of Global Enlightenment, becomes increasingly attainable, steering the world towards a more ethical, secure, and equitable future in the realm of AI governance.
Boston Global Forum
AI World Society (AIWS)
Global Enlightenment Community (GEC)
Global Enlightenment Mountain (GEM)
GADG: co-founded by BGF and Club de Madrid
Shinzo Abe Initiative for Peace and Security
BGF Framework for Global Governance of AI