Rebuilding Ukraine with AIWS City Conceptual Model
About AIWS City
The AIWS City is an online digital city built on the foundation of AI technology and blockchain, with a view to bringing together cultural, historical, creative, innovative, and artistic values of humanity, as well as offering a venue for world leaders, including thinkers, political leaders, creators, innovators, and educators, to promote a more civilized and prosperous world, one based on fundamental human values. AIWS City is guided by the principles of the [Social Contract for the AI Age | Link to another page about Social Contract for the AI Age]. Thanks to AI technology and blockchain, the virtual City of AIWS will connect with activities and events in science, technology, culture, history, architecture, art, and economy at physical cities such as Boston, New York, San Francisco, Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, Stockholm, Rome, Athens, and other epitomes of human civilizations. Thereby, AIWS city draws upon the diverse knowledge, experiences, lessons, and especially the vast human intellectuality, expertise, and creativity from these connected cities.
The sharing of diverse knowledge and expertise allows AIWS City to pioneer initiatives in higher education with the application of AI and Blockchain: The AIWS University. AIWS University will be a place of lifelong learning, deep reflection, personal growth and recognition, and studying with the world’s great professors. At the individual level, each “resident” of AIWS City citizen will have a Digital Home for storing and processing personal data and will work with others to build the AI World Society, dedicated to improving the lives of all through innovative and prudent applications of AI.
To rebuild destroyed cities in Ukraine as smart and democratic cities, where:
- citizens are directly involved in the political decisions of the country,
- institutions and structures promote kind, humane, civilized, creative, and innovative policies and practices,
- the rule of law protects equality of opportunities for all people,
- engagements with civic institutions are open and transparent, and
- the system of taxation is transparent, equitable, and provides sufficient certainty to citizen taxpayers to aid in Ukraine’s recovery.
Strategies for Rebuilding Ukraine
As Ukraine turns its attention to rebuilding the nation and society following hostilities, it is imperative to apply standards, norms, and common values outlined in the Social Contract for the AI Age and pioneering ideas and concepts contained in the book “Remaking the World – Toward an Age of Global Enlightenment,” with contributions by distinguished leaders and thinkers. The book “Remaking the World” advances pioneering ideas that could help reshape the world as the United Nations progresses toward its centennial in 2045 and addresses the standards that should govern the development and use of AI and digital technology. These ideas and standards have been the subject of several recent conferences, including the World Leadership Alliance-Club de Madrid Policy Labs on September 16-18, 2020 and September 7-9, 2021, and the Riga Conferences in 2020 and 2021.
As Ukraine rebuilds, it will have the opportunity to incorporate the features above into its cities. While physical facilities must without question be reconstructed, the operations of these facilities could be connected to those of other cities that are currently alliances of AIWS, and AIWS City itself, through AI technology and blockchain. For example, as Kharkiv rebuilds the universities that were destroyed by Russian bombardment, it could connect with AIWS University and other universities in Boston, Berlin, Rome, and even Kyiv (if intact). Students in Kharkiv would then be able to take a wide range of virtual courses offered by top universities around the world. As Mariupol rebuilds the hospitals that were targeted by Russian artillery, medical professionals from these hospitals can connect with doctors from hospitals around the world to collaborate virtually, given that virtual medication or “telehealth” has been underway. Virtual meetings with psychologists might also fill the demand for post-war psychological conditions in the population. Additionally, based upon the Estonian model, Ukraine can develop an e-government platform, using blockchain technology, to enhance the efficiency and transparency of identification, taxation, and other governmental processes. A more detailed plan is outlined below.
Plan to build AI World Society (AIWS) City for Ukraine:
- Apply the conceptual model of AIWS City to rebuild Ukrainian cities as smart cities.
- Connect historical, traditional cities as Boston, New York, Washington DC, San Francisco, LA, Chicago, Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, Stockholm, Rome, Athens, Vienna, Paris, London, Madrid, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Edinburg, Amsterdam, Brussels, Prague, Dubrovnik, Zurich, Geneva, Jerusalem, Tokyo etc. to the AIWS City for Ukraine.
- Build a digital platform and components of AIWS City for Ukraine: digital homes, art and cultural institutions, smart digital and AI universities, innovation ecosystems, smart healthcare centers, markets and exchanges.
As Ukraine reconstruct physical infrastructures, it can incorporate the following strategies:
- Use advanced analytics to minimize costs and maximize effectiveness
- Connect virtually with institutions that serve similar functions around the world
- BGF connects and calls on cities, governments, companies, foundations to support Ukrainian government and cities to reconstruct cities and transportation system of Ukraine.
Projects and Programs for Rebuilding Ukraine:
Phase 1: Civic and Social Engagement
- Michael Dukakis Leadership Fellows for Ukraine
Michael Dukakis Institute for Leadership and Innovation develops and supports young Ukrainian leaders
- AIWS Leadership for Ukraine
Michael Dukakis Institute for Leadership and Innovation educates leaders to lead and rebuild Ukraine
- AIWS University for Ukraine
- supports Ukrainian students and universities,
- builds “Online Center of Knowledge for Innovation” to support Ukraine,
- builds online resources to help connect and guide Ukrainian refugees so that they can quickly rebuild their lives,
- applies AIWS Awards to recognize contributions of students and scholars to Ukrainian students and universities,
- led by Harvard Professor Thomas Patterson, Professor Francesco Lapenta, Former Japanese State Minister Yasuhide Nakayama, Bui Thanh Nhon, Coordinators
- Creating and building global brand names for Ukraine
Advise and help promote PR high quality products and services of Ukraine become global brand names.
Professor John Quelch and Nguyen Anh Tuan, Coordinators
- Building a Digital and AI Platform for Ukrainian cities (AIWS City for Ukraine)
- Every citizen has one digital home
- Bring values from cities of the world to Ukraine
- Bring solutions to reconstruct infrastructure of Ukrainian cities
- BGF connects and calls upon cities, governments, companies, foundations to support Ukrainian government and cities to reconstruct cities and transportation system of Ukraine,
- Led by Governor Michael Dukakis, Prime Minister Zlatko Lagumdzija and BGF CEO Nguyen Anh Tuan, Coordinators
Phase 2: AIWS Government for Ukraine
- Build a “smart” government aided by AI and Digital technologies, guided by concepts of AIWS Government
- Develop the next generation of digital public infrastructure, modeled after Estonia and other leading digital government nations
- AIWS Citizen and Information Ecosystem for Ukraine
- Ukraine Community Innovation Ecosystem, including new distributed systems for greater national resilience
- AIWS Financial System, with a reimagined set of tax policies that encourage future growth and prosperity for Ukraine
Led by Jason Furman, Mats Karlsson, Alex Sandy Pentland, Jeff Saviano
Resources for Support of Ukraine
- AIWS Network of distinguished leaders, thinkers, innovators (AIWS.net) and AIWS.city
- Call on companies, universities, and foundations for support
- Connect and invite top universities from across the globe
- Coordinate private companies: Google, Microsoft, Amazon, IBM, Apple, EY
- Encourage students and professors in Ukraine and countries around the world to join the rebuilding of Ukraine
- Cooperate with Harvard Shorenstein Center, Niemann Foundation, Berkman Center, and MIT Media Lab
- Connect governments to support Ukraine to build AIWS Government and AIWS Citizen system.
Advisor: Jason Furman, Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers to President Obama, Harvard professor
Contributors: Professors Alex Sandy Pentland, Thomas Patterson, Nazli Choucri, David Silbersweig, Francesco Lapenta, former Vice President of the World Bank Mats Karlsson, former Prime Minister of Bosnia and Herzegovina Zlatko Lagumdzija, former President of Latvia Vaira Vike-Freiberga, father of Internet Vint Cerf, Assistant Secretary of Massachusetts Government Nam Pham, EY Global Tax Innovation Leader Jeff Saviano
Updates on The Rebuilding Ukraine Initiative
Assistant Secretary of Masachusetts Nam Pham’s Speech at the Conference “Remaking Ukraine – Toward an Age of Global Enlightenment”
Our AIWS innovations and Massachusetts is the number one place number one place in the world for innovation. Previous speakers are talking about the need to help refugees, the need to deal with medical needs, the need to help the people. Just to give you one example,...
The Ukrainian people are currently enduring an unprovoked war that has resulted in tens of thousands of combatant and civilian deaths. Many cities and towns have been destroyed by indiscriminate Russian bombing. The free, democratic nations of the world have rallied...
BGF to conduct research on global responsibility attitudes and activities of the business community on the invasion of Ukraine
The Boston Global Forum (BGF), Michael Dukakis Institute (MDI), and Global Alliance for Digital Governance (GADG) stand by the autonomy, peace, and security of Ukraine, and condemn Russia’s senseless and destructive assault on Ukraine’s territory. In early 2022, we...
Remaking Ukraine – Toward an Age of Global Enlightenment What: The conference will address the situation in Ukraine, and work to provide solutions for Peace, Security, Territory Integrity and Rebuilding Ukraine. At the event, the Boston Global Forum (BGF) will honor...
‘A Madman’s Dream’: Former Latvian President Vike-Freiberga, co-founder of AIWS City, On Putin’s Dangerous Designs On Ukraine
President of Latvia from 1999 to 2007, Vaira Vike-Freiberga was crucial in getting the Baltic country into NATO. In an interview with Vazha Tavberidze of RFE/RL's Georgian Service on the sidelines of the Baltic Defense College's Conference on Russia in Tartu, Estonia,...
President Ursula von der Leyen: “Putin’s attack on Ukraine is an attack on all the principles we hold dear”
Opening remarks by President von der Leyen at the joint press conference with President Michel and President Macron following the informal meeting of Heads of State or Government of 10-11 March 2022, President von der Leyen. “ Thank you for hosting us here in such a...
CAIDP called attention to the danger of Artificial Intelligence techniques that promote propaganda, enable cyberattacks, and make possible automated warfare: Internet-companies are now amplifying pro-Putin content. That is the consequence of algorithms trained to...
From February 24, 2022, when Russia government invaded Ukraine, Boston Global Forum World Leaders for Peace and Security led and contributed to peace and security in Ukraine: President of European Commission Ursula von der Leyen lead, unite, and consolidate EU to...