(April 18th, 2016) On July 25-29 the first International Institute on Global Citizenship Education will be held at the Graduate School of Education & Information Studies at the University of California at Los Angeles. It is being sponsored by the Paulo Freire Institute and the UNESCO Chair in Global Learning and Global Citizenship Education at UCLA.
The Boston Global Forum has close links with the UNESCO program.
Prof. Carlos Alberto Torres, a member of the BGF’s Board of Thinkers, is Distinguished Professor of Education and UNESCO Chair in Global Learning and Global Citizenship Education at UCLA; director of the Paulo Freire Institute, and president of the World Council of Comparative Education Societies.
Nguyen Anh Tuan, the BGF’s CEO, is Chairman of the International Advisory Committee of the UNESCO Global Learning and Global Citizenship Education program at UCLA
The July 25-29 program is part of the Global Education First Initiative supported by UNESCO that encourages national government agencies, U.N. and other international public- and private-sector sector organizations, scholars and other individuals to pursue policies and practices to promote global citizenship education.
The Institute will address these questions:
· What is Global Citizenship Education (GCE) and how can it address global problems?
· What and whose values and skills should be included in GCE?
· How can GCE reconcile and complement national and local citizenship education?
· To whom is GCE offered and who is providing it?
· What are the best practices of policies, curricula and instruction of GCE?
Professor Torres is the director of the program. Other faculty members in the program include:
- Christopher Castle, UNESCO Global Coordinator for HIV and AIDS.
- Chen Wei Chang, Ph.D., National Academy for Educational Research, Taiwan.
- Utak Chung, Ph.D., Director, Asia-Pacific Center of Education for International Understanding (APCEIU).
- Anantha Duraiappah, Ph.D., Director, UNESCO Mahatma Gandhi Institute.
- Greg Misiaszek, Ph.D., Beijing Normal University, China.
- Lauren Ila Misiaszek, Ph.D., Beijing Normal University, China.
- Lynette Shultz, Ph.D., University of Alberta, Canada.
- Ana Elvira Steinbach Silva Raposo Torres, Ph.D., Federal University of Brazil.
For further information, please consult this Website
or email: [email protected]